When Spencer got on the verge of discovering Hiro, Mavis distracted him from Thomas and Percy, by guiding him to back up right underneath the operating slate hopper so he had to be taken for repairs at the Steamworks. In the thirteenth season, Mavis was awoken early by Thomas, comforted Percy who was upset about having no job, was given flowers as a surprise from Emily, who thought she was upset and attended Hiro's welcome party. She was later convinced by Thomas to shunt trucks at Brendam Docks to impress a Railway Inspector alongside Percy.
Mavis broke down one day and was taken to the Dieselworks by Salty, where she was surprised to see Percy there. In the fifteenth season, she told Spencer, who could not see properly due to heavy fog, that he was at the quarry when he thought he found The Duke and Duchess of Boxford's Summer House. She later broke down again and this time Diesel helped her. In the sixteenth season, she told Gordon to get his bufferbeam mended, even when he tried to convince her he was fine without it and helped a composer with his song alongside Thomas and some of the Steam Team.
In the eighteenth season, Diesel took her to see the sights of Sodor, while Thomas did her job at Ffarquhar Quarry.
In the nineteenth season, she got damaged by stones from the hopper and had to go to the Dieselworks to be repaired and Den was sent to the quarry to replace her. She comforted Dart when he started to miss Den and once she was fixed, she went back to the quarry.
In the twenty-first season, Mavis is one of the engines who spread Den and Dart's rumours about Daisy being prepared to be scrapped if the duos could not acquire a spare spring to repair Daisy.
In the third season, Mavis was arrogant and did not take advice very well. She was mostly interested in her own ideas, but was brought down to earth after her embarrassing incident at the Ffarquhar crossing. Still, she wanted to see more of the line, and schemed to have the trucks push her past the level crossing beyond the quarry - this inadvertently resulted in a near accident for Toby. After rescuing him, Mavis resolved to change her ways for good. She is now more capable of keeping the trucks in line, as well as more willing to take advice.
Mavis shows quite a bit of respect for the steam engines compared to many diesels and unlike most engines (especially ones that tend to be vain and boastful), hauling trucks makes her feel important. She is a reliable, honest, and hard-working engine.
From the fifth season onwards, Mavis has matured, and acts as a motherly figure to the other engines
Mavis is a based on the BR Class 04 0-6-0 Diesel locomotive. She is more specifically based on the BR Class 04's working at the Wisbech and Upwell Tramway, as they were fitted with additional cowcatchers and sideplates so they could run near public roads.
Mavis is painted black with hazard stripes on her front and rear. She has her name and "The Ffarquhar Quarry Co. Ltd." written in white on her cab and sideplates respectively.
- Teresa Gallagher (UK; Hero of the Rails onwards - US; seventeenth season onwards)
- Jules de Jongh (US; Hero of the Rails - Blue Mountain Mystery)
- Mavis is named after the Rev. W. Awdry's neighbour in Rodborough, Stroud.
- The Australian Engine shares the same horn sound as Mavis' current one.
- Mavis was the last character Wilbert Awdry created before he retired from writing the Railway Series.
- Awdry's model of Mavis was actually made in 1962. It was not until ten years later in 1972 that Mavis debuted.
- Mavis' television series model is currently on display at the Hara Model Railway Museum in Japan and is wearing her worried face mask.
- In the Railway Series, Mavis' brakepipe is on the right side, but in the television series her brakepipe is on the left side.
- At The Train Shed, Mavis wore one of Toby's face masks.
- In the CGI series, Mavis gains a Cornish accent in the UK narration and in the US narration from the seventeenth season onwards.
- Mavis has gone through a couple of modifications in the television series:
- Season 3:
- Her horn was BoCo's at a higher pitch.
- Season 4:
- Her middle lamp iron was removed.
- Season 6:
- Her eyebrows became longer.
- Her middle lamp iron returned.
- Her horn sound is the same as Derek's.
- Season 7:
- Her horn is the same as Daisy's from the second season.
- Calling All Engines!:
- She has a different horn sound.
- Hero of the Rails:
- Her face became slightly larger.
- Season 15:
- Her horn sound changed to that of a generic "American" Nathan K3LA diesel. The same horn that Diesel used from Misty Island Rescue to Season 14.
- Season 18:
- She gained a lamp of the same design as Charlie's mounted on her right.
- Season 19:
- The lamp moved to the lamp iron above her face.
- She gained a tail lamp.
- Her wheels are more visible.
- Season 3:
- At Days Out with Thomas events, her face was used on Spencer and Salty.
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway
- Take Along (discontinued)
- Motor Road and Rail (discontinued)
- My First Thomas
- Limited Edition Collection
- Wind-up Trains
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- Thomas Engine Collection Series (discontinued)
- Mini Die Cast Collection (discontinued)
- Thomas Town (discontinued)
- Capsule Collection
- Collectible Railway
- Nakayoshi (discontinued)
- Wind-up (normal and clear)
- Pocket Fantasy (discontinued)
- Trading Cards (discontinued)
- Mega Bloks (discontinued)
- Micro Rubber Engines
- MV Sports (in three pack with Thomas and Toby; discontinued)
|Other Sudrian railways|
|Bill and Ben • "Coffee Pots" • Mavis|
|Stephen • Millie|