Rheneas is the Skarloey Railway's second engine. Dolgoch from the Talyllyn Railway is his twin, and Skarloey is his brother.
Bio in the Railway Series
Rheneas was built by Fletcher, Jennings, and Co. at Whitehaven and arrived on the Skarloey Railway between May and October 1865. Unlike Skarloey, Rheneas was stern and thoughtful and fell out with Skarloey after the latter called him a "stick-in-the-mud" following an argument over cabs. The two reconciled after Rheneas saved Skarloey from a landslide in 1867.
Rheneas literally saved the railway by keeping service through a very lean period in the late 1940s. By 1950, Skarloey was in need of repairs, leaving Rheneas to run the line. He managed to pull a full train home one rainy day despite having a jammed valve gear and was rewarded with an overhaul. His overhaul took place in 1961 and was returned to the Skarloey Railway soon after. Because of his bravery, he earned the nickname "Gallant Old Engine" by railway staff.
Bio in the Television Series
Rheneas has generally been depicted as a gallant engine.
However, between the ninth and twelfth seasons, he acted more like a young engine; he became careless and silly. Some examples of this include the time he thought he could pull a dinosaur skeleton without Skarloey's help; when he and Skarloey raced Freddie down the mountains (causing him to derail), and the time he and Skarloey had a contest to see who was stronger.
While working the Blue Mountain Quarry, his paintwork was severely damaged after becoming a runaway; this was the result of having gone too fast over the collapsing Blondin Bridge. This resulted in the brief period when he was painted yellow with blue lining.
Rheneas has been called a "gallant old engine" before and deserves such a title. Rheneas is highly determined, brave, courageous, and a long-time friend and brother of Skarloey. He is a tough, committed worker despite his age and takes great responsibility in his work. He is keen to keep his friends smiling and, although he is a level-headed engine, he can be a bit of an adventurer too. Though he may often try to struggle on alone, Rheneas knows when it is time to call on the help of his friends. Nevertheless, Rheneas is always highly dedicated to the task at hand.
Rheneas is based on the Talyllyn Railway's Dolgoch, a Fletcher, Jennings Class Bb 0-4-0WT. In the Railway Series, Dolgoch is Rheneas' twin. Smudger is another member of this class.
In the Railway Series Rheneas is painted in the Skarloey Railway's red livery with blue and yellow lining.
In the television series, Rheneas is painted painted vermilion with gold and black lining. In early magazine illustrations, he was painted carmine. This carried over to nearly all his merchandise. In Blue Mountain Mystery, he was repainted yellow with blue lining to play a joke on Thomas. He was painted back into his original colours soon afterwards.
- Ben Small (UK/US; sixteenth season - eighteenth season)
- John Hasler (UK/US; twentieth season onwards)
- Gadi Levy (Israel; King of the Railway - twentieth season)
- Tzvika Furman (Israel; twentieth season onwards)
- Stan Limburg (The Netherlands)
- Stig Krogstad (Norway; Blue Mountain Mystery and King of the Railway)
- Anders Sundstedt (Norway; sixteenth season only)
- Sigbjørn Solheim (Norway; seventeenth season only)
- Sergio Morel (Latin America; Blue Mountain Mystery onwards)
- Bartosz Martyna (Poland; Blue Mountain Mystery - seventeenth season)
- Artur Pontek (Poland; eighteenth season onwards, excluding Emily Saves the World and Samson at Your Service)
- Józef Pawłowski (Poland; Emily Saves the World and Samson at Your Service)
- Juan Navarro Torelló (Spain)
- Prokhor Chekhovskoy (Russia; sixteenth season only)
- Alexander Kotov (Russia; Duncan and the Grumpy Passenger and Duncan the Humbug)
- Anton Savenkov (Russia; Emily Saves the World onwards)
- Petteri Hynönen (Finland; Blue Mountain Mystery onwards)
- His name is Sudric for "Divided waterfall".
- Until the sixteenth season, Rheneas had no visible whistle, despite it being heard.
- Rheneas has had many modifications throughout the television series. These include:
- Season 16:
- Accurate bufferbeam to his basis.
- Differently designed wheel-arches.
- Longer wheelbase.
- Added whistle on his steam dome.
- His cutout windows gained brass frames and contained glass.
- The portholes on the side of his cab became larger.
- Added handrail on top of his boiler as in the Railway Series.
- Riveting detail on the cab and smokebox.
- Added sanding gear.
- Slightly thinner funnel.
- Season 17:
- Lamp, lamp iron and a tail lamp, all of which were added at the request of Sam Wilkinson.
- Season 16:
- One of Rheneas' models is currently on display at the Hara Model Museum in Japan (previously at Nitrogen Studios).
- Rheneas was built at Fletcher, Jennings, and Co. at Whitehaven, the same place as Skarloey, Captain Baxter, Talyllyn, and Dolgoch.
- Rheneas is the only narrow-gauge engine who has visited Misty Island.
- Will You Won't You (performed)
- "I tried hard, but I couldn't do much. But Rheneas understood.
- "Its my turn now," he said. "You've done more than your share of hard work."
- He was often short of steam, but he always tried to struggle to a station and rest there. That is most important with passengers!"
- Skarloey telling Peter Sam and Duncan about Rheneas, "Gallant Old Engine", "Gallant Old Engine".
- Everyone cheered, but Rheneas heard nothing.
- "The Thin Controller is relying on me! If I fail the railway will close! It mustn't, it mustn't. I'll get there or burst!"
- Everything blurred. He was really too tired to move another yard. But he did! And another, and another, and another. Till...
- "...I've got there at last!" he sighed with relief."
- Rheneas bravely pulls his train home, "Gallant Old Engine", "Gallant Old Engine".
- ERTL (normal and metallic; discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (normal and repainted versions)
- Take Along (discontinued)
- Take-n-Play (normal and repainted)
- TrackMaster (normal and repainted versions; discontinued)
- Bachmann (coming soon)
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- Thomas Engine Collection Series (discontinued)
- Mini Die Cast Collection (discontinued)
- Departing Now (discontinued)
- Trading Cards (discontinued)
- Nakayoshi (discontinued)
- Wind-up Trains (normal and metallic)
- Pocket Fantasy (discontinued)
- Trading Cards (discontinued)
|Skarloey • Rheneas • Sir Handel • Peter Sam • Rusty • Duncan|
|Mighty Mac • Freddie • Luke • Proteus|
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found